Do you know the way to the East San José Carnegie Branch Library?
The original East San José Carnegie Branch Library opened in 1908, as part of the city of East San Jose. When this town was annexed by the City of San José, the branch became one of the San José library system’s branches. It was renovated in 1981 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. It is the only remaining publicly-operating Carnegie library in Santa Clara County.
The latest renovation of this branch, a major undertaking, began on February 14, 2008. Because of its historic status and Carnegie designation, the old building needed to remain, so the architects designed a project that added onto the original building and increased the square footage from 7,281 square feet to 12,000 square feet, dramatically increasing the overall public space. There is now a tech center, teen center, expanded children’s room, community room, and family learning center.
The grand reopening of the newly-expanded branch is happening this Saturday, August 29. The opening ceremonies, followed by ribbon cutting, will start at 11:00 a.m. Afterward, everyone will be able to enjoy cake in the community room and various activities throughout the library.
Want to get involved with this new-old branch? Keep an eye on this page for future volunteer opportunities, or consider joining the Friends of the East San José Carnegie Branch Library.